Thursday, September 22, 2005

Catch-Up Thursday

Brian here. Mom is real tired of being in the hospital. Sick and tired, stir-crazy, and maybe a little buggy. She's scheduled to be discharged to go home in about a week, which is good news and bad. Good because Mom really needs to get home for her peace of mind. Except for the few hours we busted her out for her birthday, she hasn't been in her house in three months.

On the other hand, even at home she'll continue to need some professional care--managing medication, physical therapy, sheer muscle power--that hospitals and rehabilitation facilities provide and Nurse Sis and Kid Sis can't, at least not around the clock. So we've got to figure out how that's going to happen and, 450 miles away, I'm fairly useless. Fortunately money's not a problem, for now, although that kind of care can get pretty expensive pretty quickly.

People do this all the time and we'll work it out. The bottom line is that Mom's physical health continues to steadily improve and she's in the hands of a physician who's very aggressive about getting her off as many medications as possible. That's probably a good thing but it's also tough, after your body's gotten accustomed to a particular chemical mix, to try to change it fast.

Meanwhile, Mom's trying to keep a positive focus. She's very ready to be home and is counting down the days like a kid waiting for Christmas.

7 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger Lynne said...

Thank goodness money is not an issue! I am on the other side of that fence, because my cancer caused me to lose my job and home, and am now completely broke and living with my wonderful daughter. I'm hoping to be in an income based apartment soon. I'm on social security disability income, and it is a pitiful amount, because I chose to be a stay-at-home mom. My work record is used to compute my disability income, rather than my ex-husband's. If I was regular retirement age I could use his record, or if he was deceased I could use it...but because I had the misfortune to have cancer, and was a home-mom, I am penalized for my 20 years that I gave to my (wonderful, successful) children.

sorry to vent, but having the finances to deal with catastrophic medical issues is a HUGE plus.

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous brianfies said...

Well, I don't mean to be too casual. Finances are *always* a concern when looking at long-term healthcare needs. But Mom has insurance and some resources that will get us by for now. I just didn't want anyone throwing any bake sales for Mom...yet.

I'm sorry for your situation, Lynne. I didn't know that. Venting is good. You'd think there'd be a better system....

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Lynne said...

The system is insane. I've learned that since I started having to deal with it. No one tells you what you need to know, and I have been treated very rudely by people supposed to help me. They assume that because I am 'disabled' that I am stupid.

I have no money, no insurance, and no home. And I've been "given" $35 per month for food by the state of Michigan. That MIGHT buy milk and bread.

It is good that Mom isn't in that spot. It really sucks.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Cookie said...

This is wonderful news!! Way to go, mom!

And way to go to you guys, Brian. :=D

I'm also very glad to hear her doctor's pulling her off some of her meds. It might be hard at first, but she'll definitely feel better for it.

 
At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You any of you be interested in hosting the Carnival of Compassion?

The Carnival of Compassion addresses issue pertaining to life, death, healing and disease. Each week a blog is selected to host the Carnival of Compassion.

You can read more here:
http://www.medsim.net/carnivalofcompassion.php

we would be interested in having you join us

Sign up at the site if you are interested!

thnks

 
At 1:56 AM, Anonymous Dove said...

Sending a prayer:

Dear Lord:
May this family have comfort, love, security, strenth, hope, kindness, sincerity and happiness.

Please let them feel your presence and let them breathe.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

 
At 2:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your Mother continues to improve and you all get the support you need. We are in a similar situation with my Father which is a strain on all the family and like you are wishing we could do far more than we can. My prayers are with you all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home