Monday, April 18, 2005

So, About the Eisner?

There was a time I tried to be a "hip" Mom. That was shortly after the period in the 60ies when I was a "hippie" Mom. Lately, although I finally developed a full set of real hips, I find myself lugging further and further behind.

The comic books have been part of our lives since Son could lean over the shopping cart and make that cute little fisted give-me, give-me. He didn't want candy or sweets, he wanted to read! So, I let him. He saved every one - good as new - right up until it was time for us to move to California. Then, I made him "weed them out" there was no way they would fit in our little U-Haul along with important things like washer, dryer, couch. (There went his retirement fund.)

Then along came Kid Sis. Her enthusiasm became even more pronounced when Big Bro left for college and told her that she may continue to read his books - but he better never find a mark on any of them. She would sit beside the drawers filled with comics, quietly reading for hours.

Zoom ahead twenty five years and imagine sitting across the table from these two . They leave me staring blankly back and forth as they recall this issue and that Super hero and compare and contrast and throw in a movie and how the Super Four..

Now, about the Eisner Awards. I'm not going to pretend that I'm not excited. There is just a lot which seems to be escaping my basic understanding. Okay, new catagory..who votes? Owners of Comic Book stores? Fans of Web sites? Me..? Where can a Mom cast her ballot? I'm not trying to be too nieve here, I have friends asking...some of them a lot more "with it" than me. I'm so obviously not in this industry I'd never have a Professional vote - but, hey, I did get my likeness onto quite a few pages. I figure that gives me the right to ask a question or two.

6 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger Neil said...

Who votes... good question. A quick google turned up this page. It's a bit vague, but it seems that after publishers submit "eligible" works, folks on a list of industry pros fill out actual ballots. All this is somehow related to Comic-Con. (Maybe it's like the hugos, where if you register (as a professional? not?) you get a ballot?)

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Dean said...

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you.
I sent your story to a friend of mine who is studying to be a doctor. In addition to science and medicine classes, he's in a "medical humanities" curriculum where they learn about history, and literature, and how patients tell their stories, and how doctoring touches people's lives. I think that sort of program is a great step, and a place where your remarkable story could have an impact.
Thank you for sharing your story, and best wishes for continued recovery!
Dean

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Lynne said...

Mom

Please check out a wonderful web site, a supportive, loving group that would LOVE to have you visit.

It's Bernie Siegel's Exceptional Cancer Patients web site: www.ecap-online.org. There is loving support from Bernie, Ruth, and all the 'regulars'.

Please become part of that wonderful group, or an associated group for online messages and live chats (sometimes the great Dr. B joins us in a live chat!)
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/hugsetc/

We'd love to have you join us!!!

Lynne

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Cookie said...

I'm going to see if I can vote for your son's series. I think it's an amazing piece of work.

If I manage to pull off voting for it, I'll post back here and let you know ...

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Cookie said...

Well, darn. Looks like only professionals can cast votes.

Oh well. Still, I'm really glad to have found and read it. Your blog is great, too!

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger ronnie said...

Well, what kinda damn award is this if the Moms can't vote? >:(

Seriously, warmest congratulations to you and Brian and Kid Sis and Nurse Sis... this is merely recognition of what a fine piece of work "Mom's Cancer" is, and what an amazing story you authored for us all to share.

You said earlier you "had a feeling" I was here... I always am, I check the weblog every day - and consider it quite a privilege to be able to do so.

ronnie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home