Monday, March 21, 2005

HOUSTON - HOUSTON - WE HAVE CONTACT!!!!!!!

THE BRAIN AND THE ANKLE SAID 'HELLO' TO EACH OTHER................

My Physical Therapist, Michael, got real excited today when I told him it "felt" like my ankle was unstable - kinda wobbly - and unsafe. Immediately he started rotating it in all directions. Then he said "push!!!" - nothing - again - again (not unlike child-birth in effort ) - then I "pushed with my good left foot and the right foot said, "oh, I can do that," and it did.

Just a hair's worth, mind you but it bidged - it budged - it moved......

Then, we worked on "Pull", as in pull the foot back. I couldn't see it move - but Michael did.

It is marvelous - it means that below the swelling, below the numbness, below the lack of muscle control - THINGS ARE STILL ALIVE -. Nurse Sis talked to me about nerves, blocked arteries, muscles, etc. etc. etc. - helping me to understand that great things can happen - but it will take time, lots of work, physical therapy - Not quite the HEAL - WALK - RUN............but.............it can happen over time.

I feel rather like the Phoenix in one of the Harry Potter movies (can't remember which one) were he come back to life from a pile of ashes at the bottom of his cage. He looks all straggley, befuddled, half his hair missing - all in all a poor sight.

I mentioned this to someone I was with and said, "I wonder how many times I can come back from the bottom of my cage." From across the room came, "Oh, probably until we shoot ya!!"

7 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's great! Keep working it...I'll need you to be in good enough shape to help me build you a ramp. You're the only one there I trust with a hammer.

Congratulations!

Your Boy.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger ronnie said...

Hey, Mom! Great news!

I'll pass along some words of wisdom I got today from a guy I work with. He looked at me very, very seriously, and said, "Just... stay stubborn."

ronnie

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Mom. And also to Brian. My son, Mike, alerted me that if I wanted to reread Mom's Cancer, I'd better to do so fast. I thought okay, tomorrow when I have more time. It's tomorrow and I missed. Have to get the book I guess. I've followed you both (all) and been cheering you on.

The other Ronnie (Star Lake)

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Lynne said...

Mom-
I too, am living with lung cancer. I'm a 53 year old woman in Michigan, with cancer metastasized to bones, but doing very well. I 6 round of chemo, as part of a clinical trial, and had a good response, and am in partial remission, and stabalized.

I am living with my daughter, as well, along with her fiance. They are to be married in June, and generously offered their home to me.

I remain active, though not working, and found your story just before it became unavailable do to the upcoming publication. I feel connected to you, as we share our challenge.

I'd love to stay in touch, if you don't mind.
Lynne
Funnigirl

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Steve Austin said...

I like yuor blog. Please check out my australian cattle dog blog.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger jon said...

I was searching for must love dog info and found this post. I agree totally!

Paul

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Roy Naka said...

Nice blog. Please check out my australian cattle dog site. It is all about australian cattle dog informations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home