Monday, January 24, 2005

Getting Up to Speed

First, and foremost, thank you all for the positive thoughts, prayers and concern showered on me and my entire family over the last two years. We have certainly been blessed by friends, new and old, as well as strangers willing to reach out to us.

I received hundereds of e-mails starting as soon as friends found out about the cancer. When I was very sick "Nurse Sis" would print out the letters and read them to me whenever I needed some cheering up. We kept them in peechees. One day I found a beautiful anonymous saying and immediately printed it on the front cover:

"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."

Some days flying was out of the question, breathing seemed to be challenge enough..then the thought would come to me ... all I have to do is breathe...Family and friends are holding me up.

Okay, now that I have tears of gratitude in my eyes it must be time to lighten up.

Inside, with the doors closed and the lights down low, we (Nurse Sis, Kid Sis and I) whisper - "Is it possible we brought all this rain with us?" One reason we left No. California was the 54" of average rainfall - another big reason - all the gloomy days when it couldn't decide if it wanted to rain or not. Rainy season in So. California is normally Jan. and Feb. But this year it was so excited to see us it started raining in Oct. We are now experiencing the hundred year rain...great. and they say it's all about timing!

I will be saying more about our beautiful remodeled home later but let it suffice for now to say that the man who put thousands of dollars into tearing it down to the studs and rebuilding,left on the old roof. Know any licensed roofers who work in the
West Hollywood area of L.A? I'm not kidding. Every time it rains another ceiling starts to leak - we're running out of rooms! Compared to other news, ours wains by comparison. But,it is very frustrating when you don't get what you paid for. And see, bet you thought this was all going to be about aches and pains (well, it is a PAIN, just not physical).

OTHER NEWS - Hero got a "Bear" haircut. He looks like a little black lamb and is jumping around acting like one. He may even lose some weight. Hero, a full Pomeranian, was suppose to weigh between 5 and 6 lbs. In our new back yard we had a very messy "Non-fruit" tree (we're still not sure what that means). It dropped dozens of little walnut sized pods every day. They'd hit the ground and break apart making a huge mess. Flys and Hero loved them. He got so big we were afraid he'd explode. We had the tree removed but he found a new source of Manna - the avacado tree next door was dropping some of its under developed crop onto our driveway. Hero was once again in the Promised Land. He was self-sufficient! He weighed in at 9 lbs. We both need to exercise. More about that later.

3 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you and your family! After reading about you in the comic book it is hard to think of you as real people! I agree with your anonymous saying and hope you know what an inspiration you and your story are to other people looking at hard times. Thank you and best health in the future!
Kim T.
Miami

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger G! said...

its almost midnight here in hong kong and i have to go to work early tomorrow. but i just had to finish this phase of your journey. thank you and to your son for bringing this story to light. it is one of the most inspiring and real stories i've read. made me thankful for all the blessing that i get. that i havent had to endure what all of you did. thank you for reminding me that.

all the best to you and your family. stay healthy!

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger Eva Whitley said...

I started reading "Mom's Cancer" when it was just a few chapters online, and I've been enthusiatically recommending it.

I love that quote! My husband died yesterday, after weeks in a vegetative state, and my support system kept me going when I did not think I could cope. They truly are angels.

I will be linking to your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home